These 7-ingredient Primal Pancakes are free from dairy, refined sugar and grains. Made with both coconut and almond flour, expect these pancake to be fluffy, light and just as delicious as the classic pancake recipe.
Here at Primal, we're a big fan of re-creating your favourite original recipes and turning them into something a lot healthier. Whether you're on a low carb journey, struggling with dairy, or avoiding grains, we like to think these pancakes are suitable for many. And don't worry, just because they're healthy it doesn't mean they're any less delicious!
Coconut flour and almond flour pancakes
If you've got a copy of our recipe book, Primal Gourmet, then you may already be a fan of our previous pancake recipes. Check out our 4 ingredient low carb protein pancakes here. This time around, we're using both coconut and almond flour to create a truly delicious and fluffy pancake taste.
Both flours themselves are incredibly healthy and packed with essential healthy fats. In fact, just one serving of these pancakes will leave you feeling full and satisfied - perfect for any busy bee.
We recommend that you use blanched almond flour for this recipe, but if you struggle to find it in your local supermarket, then ground almonds work just as well. As for the coconut flour, grab a pouch of our 100% raw coconut flour lite here.
One of my favourite things about this recipe is the fact that they only require 7 ingredients - 9 if you count the salt and vanilla extract, but they're optional! It's also super easy to make so feel free to get the kids involved.
In fact, this recipe is brilliant to help educate your children about the importance of healthy eating. Tell them a little about the ingredients, discuss the importance of healthy fats and how they're essential for energy and to make it a little bit more fun, let them choose what toppings they'd like to pick out. I like to top my pancakes with my favourite berries and a drizzle of organic honey, but get creative and use your favourite ingredients. Natural peanut butter would be just as delicious!
One last thing, to get the most out of your pancakes (in terms of fluffiness), heat them on medium heat in a well-oiled pan until bubbles start to form, then flip. Wait another minute or two for the other side to brown. Repeat this process until you've used up your entire mix. But trust me, to get your pancakes just as fluffy as these, it's all about having that medium-temperature and a little patience!
The Ultimate Primal Pancakes
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2-3 tbsp stevia
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 5 large eggs
- 1/3 cup milk of choice (almond or dairy works best)
- 1/4 cup avocado or coconut oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract (optional)
- 1/4 tsp sea salt (optional)
- Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl or food processor until smooth. (Batter should be the consistency of typical pancake batter. If it's too thick, add a little more milk. Don't add too much, or the pancakes will be too wet.)
- Preheat an oiled pan on the stove over medium-low to medium heat. Drop the batter onto the hot pan and form into circles. Cook until bubbles start to form and then flip and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes until brown. Repeat with the rest of the batter.