Flourless, grain free, natural ingredients and high in healthy fats, these Primal peanut butter chocolate chips cookies make for the perfect Primal dessert or snack.
With absolutely no flour of any kind required, you can whip these mouth-watering cookies up in just under 15 minutes with the simplest ingredients.
Now you may be wondering how on earth these chocolate chip cookies may be Primal friendly but, by using natural and organic peanut butter along with 85% dark chocolate, these cookies are 100% Primal friendly. And yes, that's including the chocolate too!
If you haven't read my book yet then you may be unfamiliar with the fact that a square of organic dark chocolate can actually be beneficial to our health thanks to it's antioxidants. Now, I'm not talking about any old chocolate. I'm talking about the dark cacao type of chocolate - anything above 80% to be precise.
Dark chocolate is commonly known for its protection against free radicals that can cause some really horrible diseases. Free radicals are unbalanced compounds (antioxidants) created by the body's cellular processes. Without balanced antioxidants our body struggles to protect itself from neutralising free radicals, which can often lead to damage.
As if powerful antioxidants weren't enough, dark chocolate is also believed to help prevent cancer. Studies in cancer prevention are still emerging but so far the properties of cocoa found in dark chocolate suggests that the combination of antioxidants (particularly flavonoids), along with how chocolate can make us feel (yes it really does affect our endorphins), has the possibility to fight off cancer.
As well as the above benefits, dark chocolate is also known for improving heart health (thanks to flavanols), maintaining healthy cholesterol and blood pressure levels and possibly promoting good eye health. It really is no wonder why dark chocolate sits in my superfood list.
You may also notice that I've used the powder of our Primal Maca Root Extract Capsules. This simply provides the cookies with added extra health benefits, as well as providing the cookies with a delicious hint of caramel (trust me). Thanks to the maca root powder, you'll also be getting an added bonus of vitamins and minerals (including vitamins B, C and E, iron, calcium, zinc and magnesium) and enhanced energy levels, improved athletic performance and memory.
Considering the fact that these Primal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies are flourless and grain free, the dough is a lot stickier than your traditional cookie dough. But don't worry, with slightly wet hands and a little patience, these cookies will turn out just like a store brought cookie - big dark chocolate chunks, a crumbly and buttery base and a delicious chewy texture.
Unlike the traditional sugary, toxic fat filled and high carbohydrate cookie, these Primal cookies are a little less sweet. Seeing as I don't have a major sweet tooth, I've only used raw organic honey and a tablespoon of coconut sugar (nature's homemade candy) to make these. However, please feel free to add a little more coconut sugar if a sweet treat is what you're truly after! Just bear in mind that although these cookies only require natural sugar (no refined sugar is needed), by adding more coconut sugar, the sugar content will still be quite high so bear in mind your portion control. With everything we should always have portion control. Whether that's fruit, fat, protein, vegetables or homemade Primal sweet treats.
To make these cookies all you need are 8 cupboard ingredients, 1 bowl, a mixer, a baking tray and of course - an oven.
The best bit about this recipe? It's quick! Just give me 15 minutes of your time and with that you'll have a rack of warm, chewy and crumbly Primal peanut butter cookies cooling on your counter top ready to please all your friends and family with.
Primal Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
Serves: 14 cookies
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
- 255g natural organic peanut butter
- 55g raw organic honey
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- The powder from 1 Primal Cure Maca Root Extract Capsule (simply break the capsule in half to access the powder)
- 1 organic free range egg
- 60g 85% dark chocolate cut into chunks
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to gas mark 4 and line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl add all of your ingredients together (except the dark chocolate) and mix on medium speed until you get a dough texture.
- Once you have the right texture, add the chocolate chunks and mix again.
- Using a tablespoon, add small cookie dough balls (roughly 14) to a baking tray. Leave space for your cookies to expand. Continue until all the dough has been used and then lightly flatten each ball.
- Pop your tray into the middle of the oven to bake for 10 minutes. You'll want a slight golden brown appearance for the perfect cookie - crunchy on the outside, soft in the middle.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. This is an extremely important step to allow the cookies to harden up.
- Once cooled, dig in! To store your Primal peanut butter chocolate chip cookies, pop them in an airtight container and consume within 5 days. If you're saving these for a later date however, then store the cookies in the freezer and defrost a few hours before consuming.