This low carb spicy Chinese style noodles dish is bursting with authentic Chinese flavourings and spice and is Primal, paleo and keto friendly. It's also incredibly quick and easy to make too!
If you've made a few of my Primal Gourmet recipes, then you'll know that a lot of my recipe inspiration comes from taking popular recipes and turning them into something that is much healthier and Primal friendly.
This week I'm taking one of my favourite childhood takeaway dishes and putting my Primal twist on it! This recipe is not only healthier, but it's low in carbs and suitable for anyone following a paleo, Primal & keto diet.
To make this recipe Primal friendly, I've swapped a few ingredients that you'll usually find in the classic takeaway dish: egg noodles, soy sauce and sesame and vegetable oil. Instead, I'm using slim noodles (free from carbs), coconut aminos (or Tamara soy sauce if you're not strictly Primal or paleo) and extra virgin olive oil.
The star ingredient of this recipe, for maximum flavour, is sriracha (a popular hot sauce). To ensure it's fully Primal, I recommend you always check the ingredients on the label. Mixing this with the coconut aminos, agave nectar and white pepper will give you a Chinese sauce bursting with flavour and spice.
How to make spicy Chinese style noodles
What I love most about this recipe is how quick and convenient it is to make. Firstly, you'll need to drain two servings worth of slim noodles. Slim noodles are made from natural konjac flour and are completely gluten-free and low carb. They're also packed with fibre too!
Next, you'll prepare your spicy sauce. Simply mix the coconut aminos, agave nectar, white pepper and sriracha together and set aside.
Once you've fried the ginger and garlic in a well oiled pan, you'll add the slim noodles, spring onions, red chilli, your pre-made sauce and mix everything together.
You'll see from the photos that I've also added squid to this dish. Squid, or any seafood for that matter, will work wonderfully well with the spicy noodles while also adding a hit of protein to help you feel fuller for longer. Of course, you can completely skip this ingredient if you wish or swap it for another protein source that will work well.
Low carb spicy Chinese style noodles recipe
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- ¼ cup of coconut aminos
- 1 tablespoon of agave nectar
- 1 tablespoon of sriracha sauce
- ¼ teaspoon of white pepper, ground
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons of ginger, grated
- 1 bird's eye chilli, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 2 packets slim noodles, rinsed and drained
- 2 spring onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon of sesame seeds, toasted
- 250g squid rings, optional
- Begin by adding the coconut aminos, agave nectar, sriracha sauce and white pepper to a small bowl and mix everything together. Set aside.
- Oil a pan with 2 tablespoons extra virgin oil and bring to medium heat. Add the ginger, garlic and chilli and fry for a minute (keep stirring to avoid burning). Add the drained slim noodles and mix together with the garlic, ginger and chilli. Stir for a minute.
- Add the sauce you made at the start and thoroughly mix with the noodles. Add the shrimp (if using) and spring onions and mix everything together once again until the shrimp is cooked.
- Serve with sesame seeds and enjoy.