This low carb paella recipe comes with two delicious variations for you to enjoy, one with chorizo and chicken and the other with seafood.
There’s something about paella that always leaves me coming back for more. The flavour, the colour, the warmth and the abundance of delicious ingredients. I absolutely love getting in the kitchen with my family and creating dishes that are not only good for the body, but good for the soul too.
When I say ‘soul’ what I really mean is creating a dish that provides you with joy when you get in the kitchen – seeking pleasure out of the food you’re cooking for your family. That’s what cooking delicious food should be about, right?
To make this paella low carb friendly, I've simply swapped the paella rice for cauliflower rice (please don't judge it before you try it), and kept the rest of the ingredients that make this recipe taste like an authentic paella.
Low Carb Chicken & Chorizo Paella With A Seafood Option
Serves: 8 people
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 small cauliflower heads, blended into a food processor until it looks like rice
- 5 garlic cloves, finely diced
- 300g peeled prawns (or chicken and chorizo)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 3 tuna steaks, diced
- 1x400g chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup green peas
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced
- 4 sticks of celery, sliced
- A small bag of saffron
- 2 tsp tarragon
- 12 fresh Scottish mussels in shell
- Fresh parsley, to serve
- Oil a pan with a generous dose of olive oil and bring to medium heat.
- Add the garlic, cauliflower, peeled prawns (or chicken and chorizo), salt and pepper and smoked paprika.
- After 5 minutes or so, add the tuna, chopped tomatoes, peas, pepper, celery, saffron and tarragon and stir everything together. Place a dozen of Scottish mussels on top and leave on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Serve with a handful of fresh parsley and enjoy!
If covered with clingfilm, this dish will last well for 2-3 day, but don't keep the mussels and you cannot reheat these.