Let's face it, not many of us will be following a strict Primal diet on Christmas day, but what if we could sneak in a few Primal friendly recipes that'd fool the family?
Our healthy low carb Christmas stuffing recipe means that you can still enjoy the best bit about the Christmas dinner - Primal friendly! This delicious low carb stuffing is full of flavour, contains no grains and is packed full of all your usual Christmas stuffing ingredients - minus the bread!
At Primal Cure we truly believe that you don't have to miss out on a single thing when eating Primal and it's recipes like these, that brings us joy. I mean, who would want to give up traditional side dishes like these just because their diet tells them to? Not us!
This year, however, we've created a truly low carb, gluten-free stuffing that will instantly become a family favourite of yours. Your loved ones won't even be able to tell that the main ingredient of this traditional recipe is missing!
So how exactly have we managed to create a bread-free Christmas stuffing recipe? We swapped the breadcrumbs for almond flour and flaxseed flour - both ingredients that you can find in your local supermarket. While we were a little dubious at first, the recipe turned out incredibly well. So much so that we couldn't wait to dig in once it was out of the oven!
As for the meat, we replaced the traditional sausage stuffing with diced pork. We changed this aspect of the recipe because unfortunately, many supermarket sausages are pumped with extra ingredients that are far from Primal. If however, you're shopping at your local butchers, then feel free to pick up some organic sausage and use this instead.
The end result? Simply indistinguishable from the high carb recipe. It’s everything you want in a stuffing recipe: the almond and flaxseed flour soaks up all the flavours, while the topping remains crispy - just how it should be!
Healthy Low Carb Christmas Stuffing Recipe
Serves 8 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 40 minutesIngredients
- 100g fresh cranberries
- The juice of 2 large oranges
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 organic bacon medallions
- 50g butter
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- 500g pork, diced
- 100g almond flour
- 40g flaxseed flour
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp thyme, chopped
- 140g cooked and peeled chestnuts, roughly chopped
- Begin by pre-heating the oven to gas mark 5.
- Soak the cranberries in the orange juice and set aside.
- Add the butter to a pan and heat on medium. Add the onion and bacon and fry until the bacon has cooked. Add the garlic and continue to cook for another minute.
- Add the parsley, thyme, chestnuts, almond and flaxseed flour to the pan and slowly mix everything together. Once the mixture has thickened, add the eggs and continue to stir.
- Add the pork to the pan and lightly mix. Pour the stuffing into an oven-proof dish (you'll want the layer to be roughly 5cm thick) and pop in the middle of the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes. If the top hasn't browned, then leave for another couple of minutes.
- Once done, remove from the oven and serve.
- This dish will keep for 3 days in an airtight container in the fridge.