A delicious double chocolate chip filled courgette bread that is moist, chocolaty, low carb & healthy! Trust me, nobody will ever guess this sweet bread is made with a vegetable!
I love it when I can take my love for chocolate and turn it into something that's not only delicious, but healthy and Primal friendly too.
Traditionally, chocolate and courgette (also referred to as zucchini) are often found combined into a delicious cake, but for this recipe I'm mixing things up a little and and making one of my most favourite things ever: sweet chocolate bread.
If you loved my double chocolate banana bread muffins, then believe me, you'll love this recipe. And for those wondering why on earth you would bake with courgette, then fear not, courgette in cakes works incredibly well. It not only add's extra nutrients and moisture, but it's also tasteless too.
How to make double chocolate chip courgette bread
When making this recipe, it's pretty important to stick to the ingredients if you want to make it low carb and as Primal as possible.
If you've made a few of my chocolate recipes already, then you'll know that cacao powder is key to avoid refined sugar. Cacao powder is packed with flavonoids and is considered Primal friendly because it contains only one raw ingredient: cacao beans (which are not actually beans, but rather the seeds of the fruit from the cacao tree).
As for the chocolate chips, I opt for raw dark chocolate over 80% which thankfully, you can find in most supermarkets these days. Raw dark chocolate is great because it rarely has anything extra added to it, like extra sugar and artificial sweeteners.
So what about the flour? Well my friends, I've swapped traditional white flour for ground almonds which is not only packed with vitamins and minerals, but it'll leave you feeling satisfied for much longer than any other flour will.
Finally, to make this chocolate chip courgette bread as delicious as possible, I've used raw honey and a little cinnamon to taste. You'll find that the mix of cacao powder, dark chocolate, raw honey and a little cinnamon will work wonders for creating the perfect sweet ratio.
I hope you and your loved ones enjoy this recipe as much as I did making it. Don't forget, if you make any of our recipes then please tag us on Facebook - we love seeing your creations!
Healthy Low Carb Chocolate Chip Courgette Bread
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 160g almond flour (I use ground almonds)
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 28g cacao powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sweet cinnamon
- 2 large pinches of salt
- 120g courgette, grated (no need to squeeze)
- 1 egg
- 60g dairy-free yoghurt (I used coconut)
- 45g extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tbsp raw organic honey
- 35g coconut flakes
- 80g dark chocolate chunks
- 4 drops stevia liquid (optional)
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to 175c and line a 8x4" baking loaf tin with parchment paper.
- Begin by adding the almond flour, baking soda, cacao powder, salt and cinnamon to a bowl and mix everything together.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg and add the oil, yoghurt, honey and stevia and mix together. Once mixed, add the courgette, coconut flakes and dark chocolate chunks and mix everything together once again until combined.
- Spoon the mixture into your loaf tin and gently tap it on the surface to make sure it is even. Place in the middle of the oven to bake for 35 minutes. Remove once a knife comes out clean.
- Leave to cool completely before cutting and serving. PS, this loaf will cut better once cooled in the fridge. I recommend leaving in the fridge for 30-60 minutes if you can.