These gooey, melt-in-the-middle, chocolate lava mug cakes are not only the perfect treat for two, but they're free from gluten, dairy, nuts, bananas and grains too.
There's no denying the fact that chocolate is almost everyone's guilty pleasure, and these glorious single-serve chocolate lava mug cakes couldn't be any more perfect.
It was only last week I was uploading the recipe for our healthy low carb pumpkin spice mug cake, but after experimenting with a chocolate lava cake version shortly after, I couldn't resist but share the recipe for this one too.
A chocolate lava cake is exactly what it says on the tin. A chocolate cake with a gooey, chocolatey sauce like middle which is only identified when spooning into the middle of the cake and pulling it apart. Mmm, divine!
This incredibly easy low carb chocolate lava mug cake is the ideal dessert for when you don't fancy baking a whole cake. It's also a perfect date night treat as it serves 2 ramekin dishes.
These individual sized chocolate lava cakes are made with only a few simple ingredients which you should already have sitting in your cupboards: organic dark chocolate, eggs, coconut oil, coconut sugar, and flaxseed flour.
They're also made without refined sugar and are dairy, nut and gluten free too. Should you wish to make these without the coconut sugar, then feel free to omit, but please note it won't taste as sweet as it's meant too.
Making your healthier chocolate lava mug cake couldn't be any easier. You'll simply mix all of the ingredients together and then pour into two ramekin before placing in the middle of the oven to bake for 12 minutes.
I recommend enjoying your lava mug cakes fresh out of the oven if you wish to enjoy that utter gooey chocolate sensation in the middle.
As always, I hope you love this recipe. Please feel free to share your creations with us on Facebook!
- 45g coconut oil, weighed before melting
- 60g organic dark chocolate (opt for a sugar free one), cut into chunks
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 25g coconut sugar/xyitol
- Pinch salt
- 3 tbsp flaxseed flour.
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 8 and grease 2 ramekin dishes.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in the microwave in a microwavable bowl and leave to cool slightly.
- Add the yolk and whisk. Add the 2 eggs and whisk again.
- Add the sugar and salt and stir well. Add the rest of the ingredients and continue to stir until you have a smooth mixture.
- Pour the mixture evenly between into the ramekin dishes. Pop in the oven and cook for 12 minutes. Remove and leave to stand for 1 minute before digging in!