My Primal take on the delicious & flavoursome Indian curry that is ever so popular here in the UK, chicken tikka masala. This version is healthier, rich, creamy, easy to make & both paleo and Primal friendly.
It's been so wonderful seeing all of your Primal recipe creations these past few weeks on our Primal Living Hangout Hub on Facebook and when I asked what recipes people would love to see next, a chicken tikka masala was a popular request!
I've always loved a good curry, especially homemade curries made from scratch using fresh, wholesome ingredients, and this Primal friendly chicken tikka masala recipe is as fresh as it gets.
I've used organic chicken thighs for this recipe, but feel free to swap for organic chicken breasts if you prefer. I personally enjoy thighs in a curry as I find they're more juicy and succulent than breasts. Using thighs also cuts down on cost and allows them to soak in more flavour quicker than breasts!
I've used a combination of beautiful Indian spices for this recipe including turmeric, Garam Masala, cumin and coriander. All of which will make your curry explode with flavour.
You'll find some chicken tikka masala recipes prefer you to blend the sauce for a smooth consistency, but I choose to not to save time, mess and washing up! Let's face it, life is easier when a recipe (especially a curry) is as easy as 123 to make, right? But don't worry, your sauce will still be just as delicious and most importantly, flavoursome!
To put a twist on things, I've also added a small handful of organic sea buckthorn berries, which are packed with vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. They also contain vitamins A, B1, B2, B6 and C. These are optional of course, as I know not everyone will have these berries sitting in their cupboards at home, but if you do, then throw them in for extra health benefits and flavour!
When it comes to serving, I like to plate this recipe up with cauliflower rice, otherwise I'll enjoy it as it is served with a few extra green vegetables.
I hope you enjoy this recipe and if you do, don't forget to show us your snaps on Facebook!
Easy Primal Chicken Tikka Masala With Spinach
Prep Time: 10 minutes
- 4 chicken thighs (roughly 500g)
- 1 tsp coconut oil (for the pan)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2/3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp ginger, grated
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and diced
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp coriander leaf
- 2 large pinces rock salt
- Juice of half lemon
- 1 tbsp honey
- 300g chopped tomatoes
- 300ml full-fat coconut milk
- 2 handfuls of baby spinach
- 1 handful sea buckthorn berries
- Fresh coriander for garnishing
- Cauliflower rice to serve
- Begin by oiling a pan with coconut oil and set on medium heat.
- Add the onion and chilli to the pan and stir for 2 minutes or until the onion starts to soften.
- Add the chicken thighs and continue to stir for another minute or two before adding the ginger and garlic. Stir once more.
- Add the spices and salt and stir for half a minute to ensure the aromas of the spices are released.
- Add the lemon juice, honey, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk and stir everything together until combined. Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the sea buckthorns and stir in before adding the spinach and stir until it's wilted.
- Once the spinach and sea buckthorn berries are stirred well throughout the sauce, remove the curry from the heat and serve with natural yoghurt & fresh coriander.