With Easter just around the corner and isolation in full lockdown, now is the perfect time to make this deliciously easy low carb, grain and dairy-free paleo carrot cake bread.
Inspired by one of my favourite carrot cake muffin recipes, this paleo bread makes for a fantastic breakfast recipe when you want something quick and easy. Note: warm a slice up in the toaster and add a little bit of nut butter and you've got yourself dessert for breakfast.
Although I try to steer away from the word 'moist', there simply is no other way to describe this bread. With a moist centre and a crisp outside, I've packed my carrot cake bread with my favourite additions: golden sultanas.
And if you like a sweet carrot cake bread that's not too sweet, then you'll love this recipe. Thanks to the coconut sugar and ripe bananas, this recipe is free from refined sugar and beautifully finished with the traditional spices of carrot cake: cinnamon and nutmeg.
How to make grain-free paleo carrot cake bread
To get the best texture possible, I've opted for 3 different flours for this recipe: arrowroot, almond and coconut.
Almond acts as the key flour for this recipe but I've mixed it with a little coconut flour to help absorb some of the excess moisture that's released as the carrot cake bakes.
Although it's not a flour itself, I've also added milled flaxseed as it adds a slightly nutty texture to the bread which I love. Plus, it's packed with health benefits.
To finish, I topped my banana bread with a handful of seeds and almonds and left to bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Although, please do keep an eye on your bread as all oven temperatures can vary. The best way to check your carrot cake bread is cooked? Stick a knife in it! If it comes out clean, you're good to take it out.
One last thing... Please (please) let your bread cool completely before slicing otherwise, you'll be left with a crumbly bake. Unless that's your jam, of course.
Easy Low Carb Paleo Carrot Cake Bread
Make a classic treat a little healthier this Easter with my low carb, grain and refined sugar-free carrot cake bread.
- 2 ripe bananas mashed
- 65g extra virgin olive oil
- 75g coconut sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 25g arrowroot
- 40g milled flaxseed
- 125g almond flour
- 3 tbsp coconut flour
- 100g grated carrot
- 75g sultanas
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp rock salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Begin by preheating your oven to 175c.
- In a bowl, mix together the coconut sugar and olive oil. Add the eggs and vanilla and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, add the almond flour, arrowroot, milled flaxseed and coconut flour and mix.
- Add the baking soda, spices and salt. Mix everything together again.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix. Add the mashed bananas and mix again. Fold in the grated carrot and sultanas and mix until everything is combined.
- Line a 9x5 loaf tin with parchment paper and add the mixture to the tin. Flatten and top with your favourite carrot cake toppings. Pop in the middle of the oven to bake for 50-60 minutes. Please keep an eye on your bread.
- Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before slicing. Store in an airtight container and consume within 3 days for freshness.