If you fancy something different for breakfast, brunch or dinner this weekend, then this quick and easy frittata with crispy bacon and a cheesy base is the perfect go-to keto dish - besides my glorious 3-in-1 breakfast egg muffin recipe, that is!
I can't remember the last time I made a frittata myself but growing up, it was always a dish my mother used to whip up if she needed something quick and nutritious for the whole family.
Many people mistake frittata's for omelette's but believe me, they are slightly different. In fact, I like to think of frittata's like a fancy omelette - except there's no flipping involved and you can go a lot heavier on the ingredients for something more filling.
This cheesy bacon and spinach frittata is creamy, cheesy and custard-like. I've also tried to make this recipe as easy as possible, so please feel free to swap out some ingredients for whatever you have on hand. The eggs, milk and cheese are pretty essential though - so try and stick to these ingredients and measurements!
How to make a frittata
Making a frittata is pretty easy. You'll simply begin by frying the bacon until crispy and then wilting the spinach along with the onions and tomatoes. To make the egg base, you'll then need to whisk the eggs, cheese and milk together before pouring into your skillet/frying pan along with the rest of the ingredients.
You'll then transfer your skillet or pan into the middle of the oven where it will bake for 25 minutes.
The reason why you need to cook the vegetables before adding them into the egg mixture is so that the water can be released. You'll find that adding raw vegetables to your frittata can cause it to turn watery and too creamy (which we definitely do not want). Don't worry though, you can still use one pan for this recipe!
Once cooked, I like to serve my frittata straight away with a side of salad topped with avocado. Mmm, mmm!
Easy Keto Cheesy Bacon & Spinach Frittata
A quick, easy and delicious frittata recipe that's great for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Crispy bacon, sauteed spinach and eggs topped with cheese and baked until golden - perfection!
- 6 eggs
- 1 tbsp extra virgin oil (to oil the pan with)
- 1/2 cup full-fat milk
- 170g spinach
- 6 strips organic back bacon
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Begin by heating a pan on medium heat and add the bacon. Also, preheat the oven to 175c.
- Fry the bacon until it's cooked and crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Add the spinach to the pan and sautee for a few minutes. Add the onion and stir until slightly brown.
- Add the cherry tomatoes and stir once again. Leave to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, cut up the bacon into small pieces.
- In a bowl, whisk together the eggs, cheese and milk. Add the salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the bacon back into the pan with the vegetables and stir. Pour the egg mixture into the pan and stir around gently until the eggs are covering the vegetables.
- Place in the middle of the oven to bake for 25 minutes (or until a knife comes out clean). Remove and enjoy straight away.
This cheesy bacon and spinach frittata is best kept in an air-tight container in the fridge for a couple of days. Enjoy!