These healthy almond & walnut biscotti are both crunchy and nutty, and they're surprisingly low carb & sugar-free too!
Biscotti are a classic Italian almond biscuit made with nuts and adored for their light and sweet flavouring. While this recipe is simple, it makes a wonderful biscotti that's both crunchy & nutty.
'Biscotti' actually comes from the medieval word "biscottis", which simply means "twice cooked". In order to get the crunch and toughness biscottis are so well known for, you need to bake them twice. Once shaped as a log and once again sliced into biscuit shapes.
To make this recipe both primal & paleo friendly, I've swapped the traditional ingredients: flour and sugar, for ground almonds and erythritol (stevia). Feel free to use coconut sugar instead, but erythritol makes this recipe a little more low carb friendly.
How to make healthy biscotti
Making this healthy, low carb biscotti recipe couldn't be any easier. Simply mix all of the dry ingredients together in a bowl and add the wet before mixing everything together once again. Once a dough has formed, roll it into a log shape and then flatten.
You'll then bake the log shaped biscotti in the middle of the oven (at 170c) for 25 minutes. Once baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely. Once cool, cut biscotti slices with a very sharp knife and lay each slice flat onto the same baking tray. You'll then place back in the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes.
Once twice baked, remove from the oven and leave to cool completely again before serving.
It's important to allow the biscotti to cool between each bake to allow the biscuit to harden up. If you cut too early then you'll end up with a crumbly biscuit.
Easy healthy almond & walnut biscotti recipe
- 130g ground almonds
- 35g almonds
- 35g walnut pieces
- 50g stevia/erythritol, or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 large room temperature egg, whisked
- 1/2 tsp vanilla stevia drops, or 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Begin by pre-heating your oven to 170c. In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients before adding in the wet ingredients. Mix everything together until a dough forms.
- Gently, take the dough out of the bowl and roll into a log shape which is roughly 25-30cm in size. Neaten up the ends with a knife so you have straight edges and then flatten halfway.
- Place your log onto a baking tray and place in the middle of the oven to bake for 25 minutes. Once golden, remove from the oven to cool completely. This part is important.
- Once your biscotti log has cooled completely, slice lengthways (see pictures for shape reference) with a sharp knife until you have roughly 12 biscuits. Place each biscuit back onto the baking tray and place back in the oven to bake for a further 10 minutes at the same temperature.
- Remove from the oven and leave again to cool completely. The biscuits are delicate when warm, so please do not touch them - they need to cool in order to harden up.
- Once your biscuits have cooled and are hard & crispy, serve or keep in an airtight container for 1-2 weeks.
PS, don't forget to download our app, Primal Living, for more free low carb & healthy recipes!