Delicious roasted duck roasted in a healthy plum sauce for a truly easy traybake dish. This is a go-to recipe for those craving a fakeaway during the week or weekend!
Flavoured with light soy sauce, agave nectar, Chinese spice and a hint of chilli, this Chinese Style Duck recipe, that's cooked in a gorgeous plum sauce, is a truly decadent dish that's not only easy to make but healthy too.
I love duck and it's a recipe I've been wanting to experiment with for some time now. While it took a little experimenting with to get the spices just right, it soon hit the authentic mark once I added a little chilli to balance out the sweetness.
How to make a healthy Chinese style plum sauce
To make this recipe healthier than your usual takeaway plum sauce dish, I've swapped the sugar for agave nectar, orange juice, light soy sauce and some sweet and chilli spices.
You'll also be using fresh ripened plums along with orange slices that will sit in the baking tray amongst the additional ingredients mentioned above. Once roasted, the plums and orange will collapse into a gorgeous sauce that compliments the roasted duck well.
If you're treating your family to this recipe on the weekend and have some extra time, try marinating the duck legs in the sauce an hour or two before cooking. When you're ready to heat things up, take the duck legs out of the sauce and pop the sauce into a roasting tray along with the plums and oranges.
This is a beautiful recipe to try and even better, it's so incredibly easy to make. Don't let the idea of cooking duck put you off. As always, if you try this recipe then let us know your thoughts on our Primal Living social media channels. We love seeing your creations!
Chinese Style Duck In A Healthy Plum Sauce
Roasted in a gorgeous plum, orange and Chinese spice sauce. This Chinese Style Duck looks and sounds complicated, but it's incredibly easy and will be loved by many.
Course: Main meal
- Juice of 2 large oranges
- Orange slices from 1 large orange
- 3 tbsp Chinese spice
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 4 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3 tbsp agave nectar
- 6 plums, halved
- 2 duck legs
- Green veg, to serve
- Preheat your oven to 200c/180c (fan) or gas mark 6.
- Squeeze the juice of 2 oranges into a rectangle roasting tray and add the spices along with the soy sauce and apple cider vinegar.
- Add the halved plums and orange slices to the tray and mix everything so the fruit is fully covered in the sauce.
- Pop the tray in the middle of the oven to roast for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and add the duck leggs, making sure to paste the sauce on the skin of the duck. Pop the dish back into the oven for another 65 minutes and make sure to baste the duck legs every 15 minutes. When cooked, remove from the oven and serve with green vegetables and salt and pepper to taste.