This bonfire night inspired smokey chicken bean stew makes for a delicious and comforting meal. Thanks to its incredible smokey spiced flavour, it really is a dish perfect for the whole family to enjoy. Whether you’re making this dish for bonfire night or not, I'm positive that it'll become a favourite rustic evening meal for the colder nights this winter.
Traditional smokey stew recipes often call for harissa paste which most of the time, contains sugar and thickening agents. So in order to keep this recipe as Primal as possible, I've used two spices as an alternative. When mixed together, chilli flakes and caraway seeds can really re-create a mild spicy harissa flavour. So much so that you won't notice the difference!
I've used organic chicken legs for this recipe but feel free to use the breast of the chicken if you prefer. As for the chorizo, make sure you go for organic chorizo that has reduced nitrates. My advice? Go to your local butchers. They’ll be much healthier than your store brought meat. If you can’t find any Primal friendly chorizo then go for organic bacon medallions.
Whilst the ingredient list may look a little long, it really is an incredibly easy dish to make. It may be worth prepping the evening before if you’re limited for time in the evenings. Not only will it mean you can tuck into it straight after work, but it also means that the flavours of the smokey chicken stew can marinate overnight.
If you’re wondering what to serve this dish with, then I’d suggest frying some cauliflower rice in a pan and seasoning it to your taste. However, I personally enjoy this dish on its own in a bowl. I mean, nothing screams comfort food more than that, does it?
Bonfire Night Inspired Smokey Chicken Bean Stew Recipe
Serves: 4 people
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 70 minutes
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 chicken legs
- 170g organic chorizo (check the ingredients)
- 1 aubergine sliced
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 yellow pepper sliced
- 2 cups spinach
- 600g mixed beans (I used kidney beans, chickpeas and
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 200g organic chicken stock (check ingredients for salt and sugar)
- 3 garlic cloves crushed
- 3 shallots diced
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp caraway seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Begin by preheating your oven to gas mark 4.
- Heat a pan with olive oil and add the shallots and cook on medium heat until soft/golden brown. Add the garlic and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- In a separate pan, add the chicken legs and chorizo and cook on medium heat until golden brown. The oil from the chorizo will be enough to provide your chicken with a lovely crispy coating.
- Whilst your chicken cooks, add the peppers and spices to the garlic pan and cook on medium heat for 3-5 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes, mixed beans and stir everything together. Finally, add the chicken stock, bring the pan to the boil and then leave to simmer for 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is golden, add everything to a crockpot and add the spinach. Stir, cover and pop in the middle of the oven to cook for 45 minutes or until piping hot.
- Once done, remove the pot from the oven (be careful it will be very hot) and serve.
Pin this recipe to save for later...