It was only a few weeks ago when the government announced that more than 2.5 million vulnerable people across England will be offered free vitamin D supplements for winter and everyone in the Primal Living office cried out “too right!".
Health officials in England recommend a Vitamin D supplement during the winter months for all adults and children over the age of 5 to help support our immune system even more during the COVID-19 pandemic.
The coronavirus crisis has highlighted the need for Vitamin D to be made free for the elderly and those who are clinically vulnerable, due to us all spending even more time inside this winter due to lockdown restrictions, self-isolation and shielding. We are also delighted to hear that further research is being conducted into evidence that Vitamin D can protect against or even treat coronavirus.
The free Vitamin D supplement only applies to 2.7 million people out of 62.4 million people aged 5 and over – that’s just 7% of the population. It’s been advised if you are able to buy a Vitamin D supplement, then you should do so.
Why should everyone in the UK take a Vitamin D supplement daily, even without a global pandemic?
Vitamin D, often referred to as the 'sunshine vitamin', is a fat-soluble vitamin in a family of compounds that includes vitamins D1, D2 and D3. While your body produces vitamin D naturally through the exposure to sunlight, during the colder and darker months towards the end of the year (and the start of the new year), your body will lack in vitamin D, especially if you're not consuming enough vitamin D from your diet.
The main benefits of Vitamin D are:
- Contributes to normal blood calcium levels & to the maintenance of bones, muscle and teeth
- Helps support the immune system
- Both calcium and Vitamin D help to reduce the loss of bone mineral in post-menopausal women.
- Helps to reduce the risk of osteoporosis
- Important for the normal growth of children
- Helps regulate mood & reduce depression
A pretty good all-rounder for our immune system and wellbeing, wouldn’t you say?
Those who are more at risk of vitamin D deficiency will be those who use sunscreen throughout summer, spend more time indoors, live in an area with high pollution levels, lack of sunlight and/or those with darker skin.
Primal Living's Vitamin D Supplements
We’re so passionate about the importance of Vitamin D, that we provide it in several different forms:
Vitamin D Tablets
- High Strength Vitamin D3 – 2000iu per dose
- 10 times the NRV, 5 times the free dose being offered the elderly and vulnerable
- Tablet size 19.5mm x 8.2mm
Family Vitamin D Spray
- 400iu per spray
- Orange flavour
- Ideal for anyone who struggles to take tablets
- You can stick to the 400iu recommended intake, or adapt your dose to increase if you are aware your Vitamin D levels have been compromised by increased time indoors, or if you fall under the “at risk” category (the elderly, those with underlying health conditions, or dark skin)
- Safe for the whole family, age 3+
- Did you know our chewable probiotic contains 15% NRV of your Vitamin D
- Suitable for age 3+
- Delicious vanilla and lemon flavour
- Ideal for those who can’t take tablets