Vitamin C - a powerful antioxidant with numerous health benefits. And yet, our body can neither store nor create it. Tricky!
Therefore, in order to make sure we're getting enough of it into our diet to sustain a well-balanced healthy, happy lifestyle we must consume plenty of vitamin C on a daily basis. There are a number of ways of doing this - the food choices we make, or supplements.
If we opt to try and get as much vitamin C as possible through our food choices then some of the best sources include: guava (which can provide 6 times the daily recommended amount), red bell peppers, blackcurrants, broccoli, kale, sprouts, strawberries - and of course oranges, to name but a few.
With an abundance of health benefits, we wanted to delve into this a little bit more. So, here are our top 5 reasons why vitamin C is so important to our health and living a Primal lifestyle:
- Helps strengthen our body's natural defences - ultimately helping to boost our immune system and fight off colds, flu and other illnesses. Studies show that consuming more vitamin C as part of our lifestyle can increase our blood antioxidant levels by up to 30%. It's important to note here as well that whilst vitamin C helps to strengthen our natural defences and reduce the severity of colds and our recovery time by 8% in adults and 14% in children, it can't prevent them entirely.
- Can help lower blood pressure - recent research suggests that taking vitamin C supplements can actually help to reduce blood pressure in both healthy adults and adults with existing high blood pressure. That being said, relying solely on vitamin C alone won't cure it completely. We have to be mindful to incorporate it as part of an overall healthy lifestyle for maximum impact and effect.
- May help to reduce the risk of anaemia and prevent iron deficiencies - consuming our RDA of vitamin C helps our body to convert iron that is poorly absorbed, into a form that is easier to process. This is especially useful for those vegetarians and vegans amongst us who don't get their iron intake from meat. In fact, simply consuming 100mg of vitamin C a day could actually help us absorb iron by 67%. Because of this, vitamin C can help to reduce the risk of anaemia in people prone to iron deficiency.
- Anti-aging properties - contrary to popular belief this powerful vitamin not only helps us to feel good on the inside, but it can also make us look good on the outside too. Yes that's right - research found that consuming vitamin C as part of a healthy lifestyle could actually lower the likelihood of a wrinkled appearance, dryness of skin, and give a better skin-aging appearance. Ladies and gents - get taking that vitamin C today and help maintain that youthful glow!
- Leads to improved mood and libido - yes you read that right! Scientific studies found that mood swings could be reduced by 34% when taking vitamin C as part of a healthy lifestyle and that it actually helps to restore some level of emotional balance in the body. As well as this, another study found that taking vitamin C, be that through food or supplement form, led to improvements in both mood and libido. Winner!
So there we have it - some incredible benefits to this magnificent vitamin!
But when it comes to getting our daily recommended intake, it might not always be possible to get this from food. Which is why vitamin C supplements are also a great way of making sure we get our daily dose. Remember these should only ever be used as a supplement to aid a healthy lifestyle rather than a substitute for wholesome, natural and organic food sources such as those we've already mentioned (and by the way there are plenty more!).
That being said, there's nothing wrong with taking vitamin C supplements everyday to help boost our intake that little bit more. And best yet, we have a wide range of Primal vitamin C products - from effervescent vitamin C tablets that dissolve in water to premium strength capsules, to help you on your way and help reap those health benefits.
You can also read about what some of our other happy Primal goers are saying about us here.
And, if you'd like to find out more about all things Primal, don't forget to tune into our TV shows that talk about all of our Primal supplements over on Sky Channel 670.