Known as the 'King of Supplements', Omega 3 is an essential fatty acid that quite simple provides food for our brain. Consuming it as part of our lifestyle is essential for our body to function, but it also has some pretty impressive health benefits associated with it too.
There are a number of natural food sources available to us that allow us to get our recommended intake of this essential nutrient, including oily fish such as mackerel, salmon and herring. Other sources include walnuts, chia seeds and flax seeds to name but a few.
Other ways that we can incorporate Omega 3 into our diet is through Cod Liver Oil tablets and Omega 3 supplements. And keeping in line with our Primal philosophy of using only organically and ethically sourced produce, our Primal Omega 3 is taken from deep water fish to ensure they're not contaminated or full of harmful toxins.
But, regardless of how we ingest this powerful fatty acid, it's important to remember that we do so regularly in order to reap the benefits. After all - this is one incredible supplement that should be a staple within our lifestyle.
As this is such an important aspect to maintaining a healthy, fully functioning brain, body and lifestyle - we've looked a little deeper into this and reveal the top reasons why we should be consuming Omega 3 on a daily basis:
- Good for our heart health - Omega 3 fatty acids have been shown to have a number of health related benefits when it comes to our heart. It can help significantly reduce the risk, and lower the rates, of such conditions including: blood pressure, cholesterol regulation, plaque build-up and blood clots - which are all commonly associated with heart issues.
- Can help to combat bone and joint disorders - consuming Omega 3 as part of our daily routine can help to eliminate conditions such as arthritis and osteoporosis which commonly affect our joints and bones. Research indicates that Omega 3 can help to improve our bone strength by increasing the amount of calcium in our body. Thus helping to prevent those common disorders many of us may experience at some point in our lives, unless we take preventative measures, by way of Omega 3, to try and help combat this early on.
- May help prevent cancer - that's right, Omega 3 has long been claimed to help reduce the risk of certain cancers including prostate, colon and breast cancer. In fact, studies have shown that those who consume Omega 3 regularly have up to a 55% lower risk of developing colon cancer. I'd say that's a pretty good reason to up the ante with your Omega 3 consumption - wouldn't you?
- Can help ease PMS - one for all you ladies out there! Regular consumption of Omega 3 - be it through food intake or supplements, has been found to help ease the symptoms often associated with PMS and those monthly cycles. A great way therefore to help boost a woman's wellbeing I'm sure all you ladies out there would agree!
- Improves mental health disorders - conditions such as depression, ADHD, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder and many other illnesses linked to our psychological wellbeing have been found to improve when consuming a good level of Omega 3 into our lifestyle. It's suggested that this is down to the fact that the high levels of Omega 3 in the blood can actually help to slow or even reverse cognitive decline.
- Value for money - our Omega 3 supplements contain remarkably high levels of EPA (Eicosapentaenoic Acid) - 400mg, and DHA (Docosahexaenoic Acid) - 300mg, in comparison to other formulas on the market. And as DHA is renowned for being a key component of the human brain - the levels found within our Primal Omega 3 tablets make them one of the most beneficial supplements we can take to keep our mind and body as healthy as possible.
So there we have it. Some key benefits to incorporating Omega 3 into our lifestyle. And that's really just the start of it. From fetal development, retinal function, weight management and a lot more in between - these essential fatty acids are well...essential to help support and promote optimal health for us all.
Be it through our food consumption, or via a supplement, it's important that we ensure we're getting our daily dose in order to maintain a healthy lifestyle.
And if you're stuck for ideas on what to eat to help get your daily intake of Omega 3, or need a little inspiration - head on over to our recipes page on the Primal website where you'll find a stack of ideas and options to choose from!