From the same family as ginger, and a main Indian spice - turmeric is an incredible anti-inflammatory herb that can either be consumed as a supplement or used to spice up food. Either way, turmeric is renowned for its associated health benefits - whether that's via a supplement or the food that we eat.
As well as providing us with an abundance of health benefits, many claim that this powerful spice, also known as Curcuma Longa, is one of the best when it comes to fighting off diseases and illnesses.
So, we've been looking into this ancient herb in a little more depth to discover the reasons as to why this is so beneficial to our health.
Here's 5 reasons why turmeric should be introduced into our day-to-day lives:
- Helps to ease joint pain - turmeric has been proven to manage pain and inflammation often associated with arthritis and other joint related symptoms with its natural anti-inflammatory properties. This is also especially useful if you're an athlete looking to relieve muscle tenderness, joint inflammation and soreness after exercise.
- Can help treat and prevent cancer - studies have shown that curcumin (the main property within turmeric) is a beneficial herb for many cancer treatments and has been found to affect cancer growth and development. There is also evidence to suggest that consuming turmeric within our diets may prevent cancer from occurring in the first place.
- Improved brain function and lower risk of brain disease - curcumin has been found to increase levels of BDNF (Brain-Derived Neurotrophic Factor) which plays a key role in long-term cognitive function and behaviour. By introducing this powerful ingredient, in supplement or natural form, into our lifestyle, we can help to increase the levels of BDNF in our brain to help lower the risk of brain disease and improve the brain function.
- Lowers risk of heart disease - research suggests that curcumin actually leads to improved endothelial function in the heart which helps to regulate blood pressure and eliminate the risk of heart disease. In addition, it is also known for its ability to reduce inflammation and oxidation that also play a key role in many heart diseases too.
- As well as its healing properties, turmeric is also well known for its ability to help us out when it comes to getting those all-important 8 hours of sleep a night. You can read more about the benefits of getting a good night sleep here. And, if you're struggling to catch those zzzz's - take a look at our Primal Turmeric Sleep Shot recipe. It's a sure fire way to take us to the land of dreams in no time!
There are many ways for us to incorporate turmeric into our lifestyle that allows us to get our daily dose of this powerful herb. Why not check out some of our Primal recipes that incorporate the use of turmeric for both added flavour and health benefits.
We know that it's not always possible or feasible to incorporate turmeric into our lifestyle by food alone and understand that cooking with it all the time can become a little boring. But there is a way round this - turmeric supplements. And did you know that our Primal turmeric supplements can also be opened so you can use the powder inside the capsule to add to your food when cooking? Bonus!
Whether we choose to consume turmeric naturally or through a supplement, both still provide us with amazing health benefits that can really help us to maintain a long, healthy and happy lifestyle.
If you'd like to learn more about the benefits to turmeric - check them out in the Primal Cure book. If you haven't already got yourself a copy, be sure to pop one in your basket today!
You can also check out what some of our other happy Primal goers are saying about us here.
If you'd like to find out more about all things Primal, don't forget to tune into our TV shows that talk about all of our Primal supplements over on Sky Channel 670.