Getting a good night's sleep is crucial to our physical health and wellbeing and plays a massive part in helping us to lead a healthier, happier lifestyle. And yet, the importance of getting those forty winks can often be overlooked.
The benefits of sleep should never be underestimated, and so we've had a look into why getting enough sleep is important for our health, mind and wellbeing.
Here's five reasons why sleeping well at night is good for us:
- Helps us lose weight and also supresses appetite and cravings - yes that's right my Primal friends. Sleep can actually help us lose weight. In fact, studies have shown that poor sleep and short sleeping patterns are strong risk factors for obesity. This in part is down to hormones predominantly, which also regulate our hunger hormones. So, if we get less sleep we crave more because our bodies produce higher levels of ghrelin that stimulates our appetite. So, if you're trying to lose weight then getting a good night's sleep is absolutely crucial to achieving this.
- Improves cognitive function and memory - sleep is essential for a number of aspects of brain functionality including memory, creativity, productivity, concentration and performance. Poor sleep has been proven to impair brain function - just think about it, have you ever noticed how hard it is to concentrate, focus or remember things when you're tired? That's the brain telling us it's not getting enough rest. Getting a good quality night's sleep is vital to ensure our brain gets enough rest so that our cognitive skills are always on top form.
- Supports a healthier immune system - getting at least 8 hours sleep a night can improve the functionality of our immune system and help to fight off unwanted colds and flu-like symptoms. Did you know that you're more likely to catch a cold if you sleep less than 7 hours a night compared to those who sleep for eight or more? When we get enough sleep our bodies produce extra molecules that in turn help us to fight off unwanted infections. Moral of the story - early night and plenty of rest!
- Can ward off the risk of heart disease and strokes - yes that's right, poor sleepers or those who don't get enough sleep are at greater risk of developing these conditions. That's because we're not allowing our bodies enough time to recoup and recover after a busy day. A regular sleep pattern, and getting a minimum of 8 hours a night can help to lower the levels of stress in our bodies which can help reduce the risk of strokes or heart problems.
- Poor quality sleep has been linked to depression and other associated mental illnesses - in fact 90% of people diagnosed with depression often complain about their quality of sleep. It's well known that lack of sleep can seriously impact our mood. How many times have you got up and felt incredibly grumpy because you've not had enough sleep? This in turn can impact both our emotions and social interactions that can ultimately lead to higher risks of depression and anxiety. The better we sleep, the better we feel and the better our abilities are to stay calm, relaxed and in control.
We understand though that there are often times in life when sleep doesn't always come naturally. The trials and tribulations of everyday life can play havoc with the mind and prevent us from catching those all-important zzzz's just when we need them most.
That's why there's an array of natural supplements out there to help aid you in getting a peaceful night's rest. Containing only the most natural ingredients - sleeping aids, such as our own Primal Cure Sleep Naturally supplement, are there to help support you when it comes to sleeping well.
So, if you're having trouble sleeping and would like a natural remedy to help guide you on your way to the land of dreams then why not give our Primal Cure Sleep Naturally supplement a try?
And to help you on your way to a peaceful night’s sleep, we're giving you 10% off your first purchase* when you buy our Primal Sleep Naturally supplement! Simply add your supplements to your basket and enter the code SLEEP10 at checkout to receive your discount.
We'd love to hear how you're getting on and if you notice an improvement in the quality of your sleep after introducing these natural remedies into your lifestyle...you can share your stories with us on any of our social channels including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.
You can also check out what some of our other happy Primal goers are saying about us here.
If you'd like to find out more about all things Primal, don't forget to tune into our TV shows that talk about ALL of our Primal supplements including our fabulous sleep naturally range over on Sky Channel 670.
*T & Cs apply – code valid for use on one transaction per customer. Baskets must contain Primal Sleep Naturally supplements in order to qualify for the use of the code. 10% discount applies to Primal Sleep Naturally products only.