One of seven essential macrominerals, magnesium has an incredibly important role when it comes to our body, mind and wellbeing.
But, did you know that an estimated 80% of adults are deficient in this vital mineral? That's a staggering amount of people, in the UK alone, who suffer with magnesium deficiency and yet it's one of the most fundamental nutrients that we need to support a healthy body and healthy mind.
Taking into account all of the key role magnesium plays in the function of the human body, and the staggering fact that 80% of us are deficient in it - it's a good idea to consider regularly getting our recommended intake of this essential mineral, through supplements or magnesium rich foods.
So why is magnesium so beneficial to our health and wellbeing? We take a look at the top 5 benefits this mineral has to our health:
- Helps to prevent migraines - one for those sufferers out there. We all know how horrendous it is when we get struck with a migraine - it makes us feel sick, tired, lethargic, sensitive to light - they are nothing short of debilitating. And more often than not, those of us who do suffer with migraines are found to be deficient in magnesium. But studies have proven that consuming this powerful supplement can actually provide relief from a migraine more quickly and effectively than common medication.
- Reduces insulin resistance - yes that's right. Consuming adequate levels of magnesium, through either supplements or food, may actually help to improve insulin resistance in those of us with metabolic syndrome and type 2 diabetes. A Primal diet rich in magnesium may just be what we need to keep diabetes at bay! In fact, studies have shown that a higher intake of magnesium can actually help lower the risk of developing type 2 diabetes by approximately 15%.
- Can help to increase energy levels - inadequate intake, and insufficient levels of magnesium in the body has been known to make us tire more quickly. Ever notice that you feel sluggish or have suddenly become tired? This is most likely due to low levels of magnesium. It's used to create energy in our body by activating adenosine triphosphate (ATP), which is particularly useful for those of us who are quite active throughout the day as it means we have sufficient reserves to keep us going - providing our magnesium levels are topped up that it! Without enough of it though, we find that we don't have the energy we need and can suffer from fatigue more easily.
- Keeps bones healthy and crucial for bone formation - getting an adequate intake of magnesium regularly has been associated with greater bone density, improve bone crystal formation and has also been found to lower the risk of osteoporosis.
- Important for heart health - a regular intake of magnesium is vital to the functioning of one of the most important organs within our body - the heart. In fact, the heart contains the highest amount of magnesium which then works alongside calcium to support and help lower blood pressure and prevent hypertension. Without the correct balance of these essential minerals we can be prone to heart attacks due to muscle spasms because of an imbalance of nutrients in the body.
Unlike many brands out there, our Primal magnesium supplement has been formulated from high potency Bisglycinate - magnesium is its most highly bioavailable form - to maximise absorption and to ensure we're getting the adequate levels needed to support a healthy body.
Our land today is largely depleted of this essential mineral thanks to mass produced crops ploughed with harmful chemicals, and so at Primal, we consider it an essential supplement - and one we should be getting enough of everyday!